Recently we scoured the internet looking for funny CV errors. Now we have done the same with 20 interview blunders.
1. A job applicant came in for an interview with a cockatoo on his shoulder.
2. Use three adjectives to describe yourself.
I hate questions like this.
3. Can you give me an example of your leadership skills?
Well I have 2 cats and around feeding time I need to make sure [cat 1] gets fed first as [cat 2] has a weight problem and will try to eat [cat 1’s] food. I need to ensure I lead by making sure [cat 2] is kept well away from [cat 1] until he’s finished his food.
4. What’s your greatest weakness?
When someone in the workplace does something that I disagree with, I make it a point to stab them in the back.
5. What are your hobbies?
She said she practiced interpretive dance and proceeded to get up from her chair and dance around my boss’s office! We were pretty embarrassed for her.
6. Do you consider yourself to be a punctual person?
Well I’m not a grammar nazi or anything.
7. I interviewed this lady once for a customer service specialist type position. She referred to herself in the third person throughout the entire interview.
8. Why did you leave your last job?
I have a problem with authority.
9. Tell us about a problem you had with a co-worker and how you resolved it.
The resolution was we were both fired.
10. Do you have any questions?
Can we wrap this up fairly quickly? I have someplace I have to go.
11. If this doesn’t work out can I call you to go out sometime?
12. Why do you want to work for us?
My old boss didn’t like me, so one day, I just left and never came back. And here I am!
13. What are your assets? (as in strengths)
Well, I do own a bike.
14. Have you ever had to make a judgment call which in retrospect you realised you made the wrong call?
Never. I have never made a mistake.
15.I had a job candidate tell me that she often oversleeps and has trouble getting out of bed in the morning.
16. When can you start?
I need to check with my mom on that one.
17. I’m really not a big learner. You know … some people love learning and are always picking up new things, but that’s just not me. I’d much rather work at a place where the job is pretty stagnant and doesn’t change a lot.
18. Tell of a time you made a mistake and how you dealt with it.
I stole some equipment from my old job, and I had to pay for its replacement.
19. I don’t get out of bed for less than $200K USD per year. I let him stay in bed.
20. What would you say your weaknesses are?
If I have an argument with someone I find it very hard to work with them and it can affect the work environment.